Teeth Cleaning in Edmonton
We Will Check for Cavities and Infections
When it comes to maintaining a healthy smile, practicing good oral hygiene and having regular dental check-ups and teeth cleanings play an important role. You can schedule your annual routine exam and X-rays and an appointment for teeth cleaning in Edmonton with Janz Family Dental, and we can check for issues such as cavities and infections. Even if you regularly brush and floss your teeth at home, there are bound to be some hard-to-reach areas in your mouth that you might miss, which can lead to tooth decay and/or periodontal (gum) disease. Keeping regular check-up appointments at your dentist will help you to detect any problems early on so that we can devise an effective treatment method.
What to Know about Teeth Cleaning
Scheduling a teeth cleaning in Edmonton at Janz Family Dental should help you maintain healthy teeth and gums. Professional teeth cleaning usually consists of three steps: scaling, polishing and fluoride.
- Scaling – When you have areas of hard calculus or tartar build-up, a scaler is used to gently scrape those deposits off your teeth during the scaling process.
- Polishing – Once the tartar has been scaled away, your teeth are then ready for polishing. Polishing helps remove minor stains from your teeth’s enamel and gives them a smooth surface free of bacteria and plaque.
- Fluoride – It’s usually recommended that you also get a fluoride treatment after your cleaning, which helps further strengthen your teeth’s enamel through the usage of a rinse, gel, foam or varnish containing fluoride.
What to Know about Gum Disease
Periodontal (gum) disease is actually a progressive condition that has three distinct stages as it progresses: gingivitis, periodontitis and advanced periodontitis.
- Gingivitis – Gingivitis is caused by plaque build-up containing strains of harmful bacteria that irritate your gums, causing them to swell and bleed. The good news is that the first stage of gum disease is completely reversible through professional cleanings and diligent oral hygiene practiced at home in between visits.
- Periodontitis – The second stage of gum disease is called periodontitis and this is caused by tartar along your gumlines breaking the attachment of your gums to your teeth. This can eventually lead to bone loss and periodontal pockets if left untreated. However, there are ways to combat periodontitis, including deep cleanings by your dentist or hygienist, antibiotic therapy and antimicrobial rinses used to prevent infection.
- Advanced Periodontitis – If left untreated, periodontitis can ultimately progress into advanced periodontitis, which cannot be treated by your regular dentist or hygienist. Once enough damage has been sustained to your gums, periodontal ligaments and bones, a periodontist will likely have to perform a laser surgery or gum tissue graft in order to prevent tooth loss.
Schedule a Teeth Cleaning in Edmonton
When you need to schedule a teeth cleaning in Edmonton, call Janz Family Dental today at 780-484-8573. Through our scaling techniques, we’re able to remove plaque build-up and unsightly stains from your teeth caused by aging, the foods you eat and drinks such as coffee, tea and wine. We finish off each teeth cleaning with a polish to make your teeth shine afterwards. If restoring the natural beauty of your smile is of importance to you, we also offer cosmetic dentistry services, ranging from veneers to teeth whitening kits that you can take home with you.