Are Dental X-Rays Safe? Learn the Facts from Your Local Dental Clinic in Edmonton
If you have good oral health, you most likely visit your local dental clinic in Edmonton twice a year. If you have dental conditions that require frequent attention, you may see your dentist every few months.
Either way, regardless of how often your oral health is assessed, you can expect to receive dental x-rays as part of your treatment. Though they are recommended at different times for each patient, it’s common for your dentist to request them on a yearly basis.
It’s no secret that x-rays require very low levels of radiation, but some people may be worried and wondering if they are actually safe. In fact, a routine exam will expose you to the same amount of radiation that you encounter on a day-to-day basis, such as a short airplane flight.
Here’s what you should know about dental x-rays:
• In comparison to other medical radiography procedures, dental x-rays release very low amounts of radiation.
• Today’s digital x-rays and digital photography technology is designed to provide excellent diagnostic abilities while emitting minimal radiation.
• Lead aprons and other shielding techniques ensure you are exposed to the least amount of radiation necessary during the procedure.
• X-rays and digital imaging equipment allow your dentist to see beneath your enamel and gums to determine problems early, which can mean fewer dental visits and expenses.
• Thanks to today’s advances in x-ray technology, our Edmonton dentists are able to zoom in on a patient’s problem area, highlight and colour for improved definition, and incorporate the images into a digitalized patient record portfolio for easy access during future visits.
Find Out from Your Dental Clinic in Edmonton How X-Rays Play a Crucial Role in Dental Treatment
As long as all standard safety precautions are met, x-ray equipment can actually eliminate unnecessary radiation. From a lower x-ray dose, better film and digital radiography to film holders, regular inspections and licensing and lead shields, several changes have taken place over the years to ensure reduced radiation exposure.
Janz Family Dental is happy to offer dental x-rays as a way to obtain a high level of detail with your teeth, bone and tissues in the mouth. Through this modern day technology, we are able to find cavities, look at the root of your tooth, check your bone health, determine if you have periodontal disease, inspect developing teeth and monitor the overall health of your mouth. If you are a new patient, we will ask you to complete medical and health information forms before taking dental x-rays. Once we have a view of the condition of your oral health, we will be able to put together a treatment plan to ensure you get the best possible care with minimal disruption to your routine. If you have any concerns about dental x-rays, the team at Janz Family Dental is readily available to help you understand what’s involved in the process and the benefits of utilizing state-of-the-art dental x-ray equipment.
Contact Janz Family Dental today at 780-484-85 to schedule your check-up appointment with a family dental clinic in Edmonton or contact us online with your questions and we will respond shortly.